2010年5月18日火曜日

Chapter 6 [Robinson Crusoe for Children]

1:hold breath

*context*
I held my breath and waited.
I held my breath and tried to swim.

*definition*
to deliberately not breathe out for a short time.
[ex] Hold your breath and count to ten.


2:farther

*context*
I could feel myself carried farther and farther toward the dry land.

*definition*
[ far/farther/farthest ]
a great distance than before or than something else.


3:struck out

*context*
I struck out with all my might for the dry land.

*definition*
to start walking or swimming in a particular direction,especially in a determined way.






When I was looking up "hold breath" on Longman English Dictionary Online,
there was a definition that I cannot understand well.

[ not hold your breath ]
used to say that you do not expect something to happen, even though someone has said it well.
[ex: He promised he'd phone,but I'm not holding my breath.]

Why do they say "hold my breath" when they mean "cannot expect"?

1 件のコメント:

  1. Good job! And good question! I'm glad you asked me about this after class.

    返信削除