2010年5月24日月曜日

Chapter7~8

1: knelt [kneel]

*context*
I knelt down and took a long drink,for I was very thirsty.

*definition*
to be in or move into a position where your body is resting on your knees.


2: high tide

*context*
The high tide had lifted her off the sand.

*definition*
the point or time at which the sea reaches ite highest level.


3: upright

*context*
I could see that the good ship stood upright...

*definition*
standing or sitting straight up.








In chapter 8,
"To my great wonder..." I couldn't understand it.
When do you use it??



There are many new words for me in chapter 8.
Before I take this class,I used only English-Japanese Dictionary when I found new words.
But now,I think useing English Dictionary is very interesting!
Sometime,catching appropriate mean is hard for me.
But when I understand the mean in English,I'm so happy:)

3 件のコメント:

  1. I'm so glad that you enjoy using an English-English dictionary. You are doing a great job.

    In regard to the expression "To my great wonder. . ." here is how it is used in the story:

    "To my great wonder, I saw that the ship was now much closer to the shore."

    This means "I was very surprised to see that the see was now much closer to the shore." Longman says that "wonder" is "a feeling of surprise and admiration for something very beautiful or new to you." So, he was surprised and glad to see that the boat was closer to the shore now.

    返信削除
  2. Thank you for your answer,Mr.Masden.
    I understand the mean "To my great wonder..." now!
    I couldn't think to looking up "wonder" in the dictionary.

    Thnak you very much:)

    返信削除
  3. Thanks! I'm glad. By the way, I just noticed a typing mistake in my message. I should have written "I was very surprised to see that the ship (not "see") was now much closer to the shore."

    返信削除