2010年7月20日火曜日

Chapter 13-14

[Chapter 13]

1: hasten

*context*
I hastened home to my little tent.

*definition*
to make something happen faster or sooner.

???
one pair of hands
(At last ther was nothing left that one pair of hands could lift.)



[Chapter 14]

2: arose

*context*
Early in the morning I arose ando looked out toward the sea.

*definition*
to get out of bed, or stand up.



3: Halfway up

*context*
Halfway up the hill there was a large level place, with a great rock rising behind it like the side of a house.

*definition*
at a middle point in space or time between two things.




I found the word "swallow" in Chapter 14.
Context is "The sea had swallowed it up.", but I couldn't pick up correct definition.
Please talk with me about this at class.

4 件のコメント:

  1. Please include a link to each chapter. That makes it easier for me to check the context for you. In regard to "one pair of hands" I think it is just a way of saying "one man." I regard to "swallow" I think it is a metaphor.

    返信削除
  2. We talked in class and I said that you will get an "A" in this class if you can post a few more times in the way that you have been posting already.

    返信削除
  3. Thank you for talking about "one pair of hands" and "swallow".
    Especially,"swallow", I felt sooo interesting!!
    English can also use "swallow" when we want to say "波にのまれる" in Japanese.
    Maybe it is not same mean completely, but so resemble.
    and I have been interested in metaphor expressions of English.
    So today's class, I'm so happy^ω^

    返信削除
  4. I'm glad! Thanks for your nice comments!

    返信削除